You will be learning music theory as you take lessons from me.
- Playing the piano without knowledge in music theory is kind of like talking without really being able to read.
- While you’re taking your time doing your weekly assignments in your theory book, you are broadening your musical knowledge.
- All of a sudden in that piece of music you’re learning they aren’t just random notes splattered about that you have to read carefully.
- You begin to see patterns of scales and chords that instead of being separate notes they are lumped together in your head as one thing.
- Your theory assignments help with basic theory, such as your note names and dynamics (volume).
It is very obvious, as a music teacher for many years, students who have a theory background and those that don’t. You can’t really read all that is in a piece of music without knowing your theory.
You will learn to concentrate on your piano technique as you take lessons from me.
- Piano technique is sure to do more to advance your piano playing than any other lesson activity.
- When poorly trained pianists ignore technique every time they play they are unable to execute the music in a meaningful way. To the trained ear, this sounds likes typed notes on a page –lacking in any real musicality.
- The only solution is slow, highly focused practice. The value of slow practice is that it gives us time to think each note in advance of playing it.
- Underlying this tendency is impatience. While every music student understands that learning music is inherently a long-term task, the vast majority only lengthen the time they need to learn a piece through their very effort to reduce it.
At the heart of all learning is concentration.
You will be trained to think before you play as you take lessons from me.
- Every movement in piano is the result of a conscious decision made for a musical purpose.
- The movements need to be thought through like a perfectly choreographed dancer, and practiced slowly, as if watching an instant replay in slow motion.
- Concentrate fully on each note, each piano key and each hand movement, with each one being the result of conscious decision.
This is how to think before you play!
You will learn to actually play the piano as as trained professional when you take lessons from me.
- There are many teachers who will be happy to let you do anything you want in the lesson, play anything you want, and in any way you like. The goal is to keep their student’s income. Don’t expect to learn much in that environment.
- A professionally trained instructor understands piano literature and assigns it in a meaningful manner to permit progress. Any coach that would permit the figure skater to attempt a triple axel with no training, simply because the student is impatient to “seem” more advanced than they are, is a danger to the student.
- Students will never stall in their musical progress at my studio unless they stop practicing.
- In my studio, we learn theory, technique, and our craft before we perform.
- Students with piano background (regardless of age), but without theory, technique, or performance practice will learn these first –before taking on any material beyond their technical ability.
There will be no “brick wall” to hit or slow you down in your progress, you can take your piano progress as far as you desire to take it!